Thursday, February 18, 2010

This is how it goes every morning


Billy wakes me with his very loud and insistent noises. He wants to get out of his crib and I want to stay in my warm bed. Eventually he motivates me. I lift him out of the crib and we walk down the hall to Greg's room where he is usually looking at the traffic and the construction from his bed room window. The three of us walk down stairs.
I'm dragging and my eyes are gritty from not enough sleep. I'm trying to feel like a human but it is tough. Greg is the happiest noisiest kid you have ever heard. Maniacal fake laughter to get a response out of Billy gets a response from me. I wonder if we'll go to the gym this morning after all. Maybe I can get these babies down for a nap right after breakfast instead. My cozy bed is nearby but seems so far away.
After telling Greg he cannot have candy for the twentieth time and hearing his surprised and disappointed "awwww" I think I'm going to scream. But, breakfast is finally ready. The blueberries are on the plate, the banana and cheese stick is cut into rounds, the whole wheat bread is resting on the plate and the eggs have cooled.
I sit down next to Billy, across from Greg, drink my coffee and think about how cute my boys are. As I finish my coffee I wonder what the big deal was. Greg shows me how his cars can fly, walk across the table and even dance, narrating the whole time.
Thank you caffeine for restoring my patience and calm.

No comments: