Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Poor thing

Your Mommy tried to starve you!
It's tricky trying to figure out what you need these days. We're still limited in our verbal communication. I think you understand me pretty good, but you’re not talking back.
Well, you had your breakfast bottle and for lunch I gave you an assortment of foods. Little raviolis, cheese, broccoli and cheerios. We also used a sippy cup mostly successfully for the first time. I held it and you drank. Most ran down your chin, but I saw you swallow some.
I fed you until you got bored. I try not to over feed you or push you because I don't want this to become a power struggle. I want you to feel in control of your self.
After I cleaned you up and put away the dishes I felt like we were done. So when you started crying later I didn't think you were hungry. It was nap time so off we went to your crib.
Half an hour later you still hadn't stopped crying and it dawned on me that you were telling me you wanted a bottle. Man. I felt so stupid. I hurried back with your bottle but now you were tired and hungry and we had reached a critical level. You kept slapping the bottle out of the way and the formula was sprinkling all over your face. I had to hold your hands down and stick the nipple in your mouth. Once it was in you started sucking furiously. I waited for you to finish so that I could swap the bottle for the pacifier hoping that you would drift off to sleep in a milk induced comma.
That is the usual pattern. It did not work today because you were still upset. Again I let you cry it out hoping you would go to sleep. You did finally give in to sleep but only 5 minutes before we had to leave.
I came in to wake you up and you were out cold. I rubbed your back, no response. I talked you, nothing. I turned off your radio, you sat straight up and started crying again with out even opening your eyes. I don't think you woke up until after I started carrying you down the stairs! You were so mad from being starved that you were still upset in your sleep. Sorry baby. Soon you will be able to talk and you can tell me when you are still hungry.

No comments: