Thursday, March 13, 2008

You've nailed expressing yourself!

This is a new development. I'd say it has just started in the last several weeks. You aren't talking with words yet but we know what you are saying.
Yesterday, for example, I found you playing with the surge protector. Incase these are relics of the past when you read this, a surge protector is a foot long piece of plastic or metal that holds about 6 electrical outlets. You plug it into the electrical outlet on the wall so that you have even more electrical plug receptacles. Needless to say this is not a mom approved baby toy. That being said, you love this.
I found you turning on and off the switch, illuminating the red light on the end. Responsibly, I took it away. Then I moved the baby gate in front of it so that you could not take it back. You were furious.
You grabbed the baby gate, raised your self up onto your knees, fisted your hands, scrunched up your face, gritted your teeth and yelled long and loud.
I find this entertaining as a new development. I think it is marvelous that you have this sense of autonomy. You are your own little person with your own real emotions. I want you to know that your feelings are valid but I don't necessarily want to encourage this behavior. I let you yell for a moment and then offered you an appropriate toy. You were mollified and seemed to get over the outrage of not getting to do what you want.
We'll see if I still think you are this cute when you are embarrassing me at the grocery store in a couple years when I tell you "no" and you tell me back how unhappy that makes you. I can't wait.

No comments: